07 September 2011

The Daily Grind

Namo Buddha is the site where, moved by extreme selflessness and compassion, Prince Ngingdui Tshenpo offered his flesh and blood to a starving tigress and her five cubs. The prince would then be reincarnated as Guatama Buddha.

This is my new assignment in Nepal. Here, about 2,000 meters above sea level and surrounded by large rolling hills and scattered villages, I am to continue my practice with the villagers and the monks of the monastery. Here I will also continue my education of compassion, impermanence, ego, and love.

My new home is much different than my home in Chapagaon where I spent the last three months. At Namo Buddha the clinic is only open three days: Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. Unlike my previous assignment, I am pretty much on my own: there are no other westerners; no other body workers; no exclusive interpreter; no massage table; no internet; very limited cell service; and complete immersion into the Buddhist monastic life. Ahhhh, it sounds difficult and maybe unworkable, but here I’ve been learning that the only things that prevent me from doing good are my pride and my ego.

Although my situation may sound difficult, the support that I have been receiving here has been incredible. Lama Yonten is the clinic director. When I first arrived on July 1, Lama invited me into his office to express his expectations and to find out more about what I could do. He saw in me more than I saw in myself and was ready to entrust the care of the villagers into my trembling hands. Lama was the first monk that trusted me enough to ask for my help with some back and shoulder pain. During my time here he has been a gracious host in is home. Jamyang  Dorje is the operating manager and a brilliant monk. With compassion and a light heart he treats villagers and monks with everything from cuts to serious illnesses. He is my go-to guy. When I need something or have questions he is always willing to offer his help. And then there’s Karma Norphel. Karma has been my best friend here. His main job is to work the reception and pharmacy in the clinic. Even when he is overwhelmed with villagers all I have to do is poke my sad head in through the pharmacy window and say please help me and he drops what he’s doing to come and translate for me. When Lama is off teaching and Jamyang is off organizing another health-fare, it is Karma that keeps me entertained and answers my often naive questions about Dharma and the life of the monks.  These three monks have turned a very scary and difficult situation for me into one of great learning and great reward. There are many more monks here that have and continue to make this a wonderful experience. Without their support I shudder to think what a mess I would be.

My typical Monday…

06:00     Wake-up: usually I do this on my own. There are, however, many times that it’s Karma’s banging on my door telling me breakfast is ready that rouses me from my slumber.

07:00     Breakfast. Some habits have been hard to break. Unless someone brings breakfast or we decide to make it together, I’m happy with a cup of coffee while watching the clouds and morning fog move across the valley.

08:00     Shower. Most buildings in Nepal use solar panels to heat the water. Well this is monsoon season. Many mornings I wake the villagers with my screams from the cold shower.

08:30     Walk. This has become a regular practice. Most mornings I walk down the hill to the village because that’s one of the few places I can get a cell signal. It also gives me a chance to meet and play with the resident pack of dogs that protect us from intruders.

09:30     Clinic. Most work mornings I go down to the clinic a little early to set-up my treatment table open the windows and get ready for the patients.

10:00     Treatment. Now the people start to come. Knees, backs, shoulders, feet, etc.

11:45     Lunch. Here I eat lunch in a large dining hall with a hundred other monks (breakfast and dinner are also in the dining hall, but I rarely take advantage). The food is typical Tibetan and Nepali. I have never eaten so well. You can eat as much as you want, but the actual eating only lasts about ten minutes, so eat fast.

12:30     Canteen. The canteen is a general store for supplies, a cafĂ©, and a hang-out for everybody. It’s a great place to make connections, have a few laughs, and treat locals, monks, and visitors.

13:00     Clinic. Back to work.

16:00     Tea. This is usually the end of the work day. We gather in the kitchen or sit on the terrace and share tea and stories.

18:00     Dinner. Sometimes I do go to the dining hall, sometimes we all make dinner in the kitchen, sometimes I’ll just stick to some simple noodles.

19:00     Canteen. The day winds down at the canteen. Here I sit most evenings and listen to stories (mostly in Tibetan or Nepali so I don’t understand what is being said), sometimes a game of cricket or soccer breaks out.

20:00     Walk/Read/Meditate/Sit

24:00     Sleep

If I had to give a schedule for a work day, this is it. Later I’ll explain how my life here is far too interesting to be scheduled so easily.

Peace and Namaste.