07 September 2011

The Mission is Over (for now)


This is not the end of a chapter in my life but a wonderful beginning. I’m sitting in Delhi Airport with five hours before my flight to Chicago and I can’t help but being overwhelmed with a sense of gratitude.

Thank you to my family, all my friends and teachers without whose love and support I could never have made this journey in my life.

Thanks to MMW for pointing me in the right direction.

Thank you to the team at Vajra Varahi clinic:

Nicky you have a wonderful clinic and its success is due to your dedication and devotion.
Marce you greeted me at the door on a rainy Friday evening, yelled at me to take off my 
shoes, and have been a wonderful source of support and kindness since.

Joel it was an honor to meet you. Thank you for sharing with me your knowledge, experience, and advice. I hope to once again learn from you.
Lee, my British brother, you’ve taught me that life is much more fun and interesting if you               challenge it with a smile and meet it head-on.
Mac, Dayna, and Ben you’ve showed me how to treat patients with compassion and love.
You are amazing doctors.
My Nepali brothers and sisters: Prajwal, Satyamohan, Tsering, Ritesh and Manesha. You              accepted me for who I am and have been patient, loving and understanding. I will always               treasure what you have done for me.

Thank you to Ratna. You are one of the wisest people I know. Thank you for sitting with me, teaching me, and talking to me. I do miss our conversations.

And special thanks to HH Phakchok Rinpoche. You took time out of your busy schedule several times to talk with us and me. You are a great man and I greatly appreciate your candor and your vision. I hope you’ll allow me to have an audience with you once again soon.

Thank you to the Namo Buddha team:

Lama Yonten you brought me in and made me feel at home. I do not take lightly the trust you   have given me.

Jamyang Dorje I will meet you again. Your dedication, compassion, and knowledge inspire me   to work harder and be better.

Karma Norphel I couldn’t have done any of it without you. You have been a great friend and a   wonderful source of support.

Thank you to Lama Ritzen for the instruction and the tour – you make the world much more beautiful with your work. Khenpo Sherab for being patient and trusting me. Nyima, Dorje and Yamchung you always brought a smile to my face and made me feel at home. Michelle and Rima for all your support and friendship-we will work together again soon.

I invite you all to please visit these sites and learn more about the mission of these two wonderful and compassionate organizations. My work in Nepal is but a small drop in an ocean of the good that they do. If you can, please make a donation so that they can continue their mission. The money you give will help continue their work (and donations are tax deductible).

Vajra Varahi Health Care Clinic -               http://www.cglf.org/projects/activity.html

Namo Buddha Clinic -                                  http://www.namo-buddha.org/clinic.html

Himalayan Children's Fund -                      http://www.rinpoche.com/hcf.html

** I do apologize for the lack of updates in the last couple of months. I could easily blame the lack of internet connectivity (which there was), but I really did throw myself into my practice while at Namo Buddha. In the next several days I’ll make one more post with just pictures of my experiences at NB. Now that I am in the states please feel free to contact me jabkij@gmail.com if you would like to know more about my humbling yet amazing experience or maybe even if you’re interested in volunteering in Nepal.